With a maelstrom of Chaos behind me it's back to the bench then. One thing I have got onto is the depiction of the varying production variants of the Armoured Exhaust Cover. I have mithered David Byrden over this in the past, and a lot of the features and differences come from 'mould' drop out during casting, and the moulds being 'patched' rather than reset. Often the apex of the cover suffers the most due to mould flaws, with the central ridge being flattened and smoothed. Another version has what looks like bridging plates inserted to strengthen the deteriorating mould, causing a 'roofed' effect, and yet another example has access channel machined into the side walls for the attachment nuts/bolts to be fitted or removed.
And here are the covers ready for a few layers of Mr surfacer 500... 'Claggy' grade not 'Skaggy'!!!
The casting marks are from Archer decals,with the seams on the lifting lugs applied with stretched sprue, the 'plated' cover is 1mm styrene stock sheet butted, and overlapped. The access channels on the later production variation is applied using a suitable burr and drill in a mini rotary tool. The flattened and smoothed cover is simply sanded with a fine grade wet and dry finishing paper. These will all receive a couple of coats of Mr Surfacer to blend the detail and remove the harshness of the additions.
I have had a go at beating up and deforming some of the PE 'sheet' pieces, not as easy as it appears... My hat is off to all those folks who have done this and kept them 'deformed' enough to actually attach onto the vehicle.
One little thing I discovered is that you can burn brass PE, to resemble aged and rusted mild sheet or shrapnel and projectile damage. Just 'tin' the area to be mangled and abused, slap on some liquid flux, and turn the blow torch up, then set about the PE until you get a very thin 'crumbly' area that can be poked and bent to the look you want.
See you all tomorrow, my patient friends... Cheers Phil.